Thursday, August 28, 2014

Gluten free meatballs with Marinara Sauce and Zucchini Noodles

Gluten free meatballs with Marinara Sauce and Zucchini Noodles

I make these meatballs in bulk and freeze them for meals. I make zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash instead of pasta a lot because I find that my kids eat about the same amount either way.

Gluten Free Meatballs

2 lbs ground meat (whatever meat you use, I like using bison)
1 large onion sauted in olive oil until very soft)
2 cloves of garlic, minced and sauted with the onions when the onions are almost done
2 eggs
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper

I keep the flavor very simple so I can use them in a variety of dishes.
Mix everything together. Roll into 2 inch balls, put them on a foil lined pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Once cooled put them in gallon bags and freeze until you need them.

Marinara Sauce

1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic minced
Olive oil
1 large can crushed tomatoes, I use San Marzano but use what your budget allows.
2 T tomato paste
1 t salt
1/4 c loose torn basil leaves or 1 t dried basil

Sauté the onion in olive oil until very soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the basil and more salt to taste if needed.


For the zucchini you can cut them into julienne strips, use a mandolin to slice or use a veggie peeler and just peel each side in long strips until you reach the seeds. Toss or compost the core. I use a steamer pan and put the zucchini strips inside. The moment I see steam come out I take the zucchini off the steamer and put it on the plates.

No comments: